Whether you’re opting for a professional spray tan or DIY self tan, there’s a few key to do’s that you really shouldn’t skip.
Here’s our tips for achieving your ultimate Naked Tan:
Before you tan:
- Wash your hair then exfoliate – Shampoo and conditioner can leave a residue on your skin, affecting the tanning solution.
- Exfoliate your entire body – including your underarms, elbows, hands, ankles and feet. This creates the perfect base to build your tan on .
- Remove face and body products – including deodorant, perfume, moisturisers and makeup. As with certain shampoos and conditioners, these can interfere with the tanning solution. If you’re booked in for a professional spray tan and are coming directly from work, play or study, ask your Body Therapist for a wipe to remove the products. The exception to the rule: adding a small amount of moisturiser to your elbows, palms, feet, elbows, ankles etc can create a barrier for the tan and prevent a build up of tanning product in these areas. If you’re unsure of how much to apply, ask your Body Therapist to apply it for you.
- Wear dark, loose clothing and thongs to the spa or tanning studio (or pack them to wear afterwards) – this will help to avoid your tan being rubbed off whilst it’s developing and potentially staining light coloured clothing.
- Have your professional tanned matched to your skin tone – professional tanning solutions come in a variety of colours, so don’t be shy to discuss your skin tone and shade you wish to go with your Body Therapist. They will be able to customise a colour that is right for you.
- Use an applicator mit – if you’re self tanning, apply your tanning mousse or cream with an application mit for a smoother, more consistent coverage.
- Avoid body parts touching until you are touch dry – Stand with your arms slightly away from your body and without your legs touching until your Body Therapist has dried your professional tan or your self tanning product is touch dry.
- For a standard 2 hour tan – leave your tan on for 2 hours (but up to and no more than 4 ) – then rinse the bronze marker off in the shower until the water runs clear. DO NOT LEAVE ON OVERNIGHT.
Maintain your tan for longer:
- Avoid scrubbing your skin or using soap – as this will strip your tan. Instead opt for a soap free body wash or cleanser, and then pat your skin dry – don’t rub.
- Apply Naked Tan Creme de la Creme body moisturiser daily to prolong your tan and keep your skin looking healthy and glowing.
- If you’re swimming in chlorinated pools or the ocean, immediately rinse your skin off in the shower afterwards and then apply Naked Tan Gradual tan afterwards. This will inject some of the colour the water has stripped back into your tan.
Things to avoid
Occasionally tanning faux pas exist, to avoid these situations:
- Always let your tan develop for the correct time frame and never less. If it is a 2 hour tan, then don’t shower it off until at least two hours. We would love to think orange tans are a thing of the past, and while we’ve never experienced this problem whilst using Naked Tan products, orange tans can occur if a tan isn’t allowed to fully develop.
- Don’t sleep in your tan – gone are the days when you had to let your tan develop overnight before washing it off. Doing so using today’s products can lead to inconsistencies in your tan.
Need more answers? We’d be happy to help – call us on 02 9416 7723, or email us.