After IPL hair reduction treatments, some people may experience a mild sunburn-like sensation. This usually lasts 2-24 hours but can persist up to 72 hours. Here are some essential after care steps that all IPL hair reduction clients should follow:
For 24 hours after each IPL treatment:
- Bathe or shower as usual. Treated areas may be temperature sensitive so avoid really hot baths or showers and opt for tepid water. Cool showers or baths can help gain relief if the area is feeling particularly sensitive.
- Avoid excessive scrubbing with scrub brushes, loofahs, sponges and use of exfoliants for at least 7-10 days after treatment.
- Do not apply depilatory, AHA, gylcolic or salicylic creams, deodorants or after-shaves, or use products containing glycolic acid, alpha hydroxy acids, astringents, and perfumes.
- Avoid sun exposure to treated areas, as well as the use of sun tanning beds and self-tanning creams.
- Avoid swimming in chlorinated pools or spa baths, hot tubs/Jacuzzis, and excessive exercise for 7 days after treatment or until redness resolves.
- Keep the area moisturised. You may use your normal moisturiser or one recommended by your skin therapist. Use Aloe Vera gel if very red and/or swollen. Use a light moisturiser only, no AHA’s. If you experience intense itching 2-4 days after treatment, applications of ice and/or hydrocortisone cream will help.
- Use a SPF30+ sunscreen if sun exposure is unavoidable. Sun avoidance will decrease the likelihood of skin colour changes.
- It’s important to be aware that your hair will shed for up to one month after your treatment. The hair will appear to be growing but will easily be removed by hand. You may use a loofah regularly (7-10 days after the treatment) to encourage this shedding.
- If blisters occur seek medical advice and inform your therapist.
- Often people with oilier skin and deep dense hair may experience pimple-like breakouts. This is normal and will eventually subside.
- Women having their full bikini area treated and men having their face and/or neck treated may experience severe swelling, redness and pimple-like breakouts. This may take up to 3 weeks to subside.
- If you experience any changes with your health or medications you are taking between treatments, you MUST inform your therapist prior to your next treatment. It’s better to reschedule or temporarily put your treatments on hold rather than experiencing adverse reactions to treatments as a result of change in circumstances.
It is important to note that hair loss will become more noticeable after approximately the third to fifth treatment.
Long-term after care:
- Hairs that were in the resting phase at the time of treatment may enter the active phase in 1-6 months after the treatment depending on the body area.
- Follow-up treatments may be performed at 4 week intervals or within 2 weeks of new hair growth.
- Always wear sun block with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Avoid excessive sun or UV epxosure. Cover up and be sun-safe.
If you have any questions or concerns about your treatment, please contact your Omorfia therapist.